Sunday, November 30, 2014

No Two Persons Ever Read the Same Book



So this week, I am going to turn 40. Yikes.

On Tuesday, lots and lots of you are going to wish me a happy birthday. I will be grateful for each and every one of them. Truly.

But, instead of just a message, can you tell me your favorite book? The one that you never want to read again because it was so good or the one you read over and over again because it was so good. Tell me the one book that changed your life, your mind, or your heart. Which one made you laugh until you cried, or helped you cry it out so that you were ready to laugh again? Which book do you quote endlessly? Did you name your pets or your kids after a character in a book? Which one? Do you have fond memories of reading this book, or reading it to someone? Let me know.

My goal for this, my 40th year, is to read all the books you recommend. I’ll keep track and comment along the way. It will be a neat way to reconnect with many of you and to get a little insight into what makes you tick. Tell me the title and author. You can tell me why you love it in great detail, or you can remain silent and let me try to figure it out. I don’t need to know why this book sings to you above all others, and hopefully, you won’t be too upset if it doesn’t sing to me.

I just feel like going into such an important year that I should have a project. I want to connect with all of my friends, both near and far, in a meaningful way. Tell me your favorite book and I promise I will read it (if I haven’t already). As I finish each book, I’ll blog about it. It will be my way of saying thanks for your friendship, for your thoughts, and for sharing something you loved.

Take a few days and think about it. Then, on Tuesday, post on my wall, send me a message, e-mail me, leave me a voice mail, e-mail, or text message. Send me a card. Hell, send me a copy of the book (used, new, borrowed, blue, I’m not picky) if you are really feeling generous. I’m hoping to collect 40 recommendations to read during my 40th year.


“It is what you read when you don't have to that determines what you will be when you can't help it.” 
 
Oscar Wilde

No comments:

Post a Comment