Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Assimilate This!

So I just finished reading this awesome article about why the spaceships in V are totally inaccurate, use too much energy, would be impossible to hide from our satellites, and would wreak complete havoc on our atmosphere. I love that someone took the time and energy to debunk the spaceships, not the concept of alien invasion, extraterrestrials in general, or even the plot of the show - just the spaceships. Even better, in the comments section, people offered explanations based on “facts” from Independence Day and Armageddon.

God, I love geeks.

And let me make this perfectly clear. I am one. I am a Trekkie. I am also a Browncoat. I know that 42 is always the answer. I know that if I weren’t a Muggle, I would be in Gryffindor. I know that Death is not a skeleton with a scythe but a Goth-girl with an Ankh. I know that vampires live in the Rue Royal, Sunnydale, Forks, and Bon Temps. I know that too many people ignore the laugh, but that’s about standards. I know who watches the watchmen and it is always Sam Vimes. I know that it can’t rain all the time, that there is no spoon, and that these aren’t the droids you’re looking for. I know to speak friend and enter and that “my precious” isn’t always an endearment. I know about the Knights who say Ni, that every sperm is sacred, and that it is just a little mint. I know that the Dread Pirate Roberts never takes prisoners and that death cannot stop true love.

I am also a Gleek. That didn’t really fit in with the above paragraph, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

You see, I am proud to let my geek flag fly. During this weekend’s shopathon, I bought exactly two things for myself and they were both from the comic book store. I love that there is a group of people in this world who speak Klingon and Elvish and that others use “Frak” as a curse word. Everybody needs a hobby, right? I mean, there is a guy out there who believes he is Peter Pan (and actually found his Tinkerbelle, which really does prove there is someone out there for everyone.) I have started more conversations with people about Spike v. Angel or Bill v. Eric than I ever have about the Pats v. Colts or the Yankees v. Red Socks. It’s a great big world out there and if I have some small way to connect myself to another human being, then why can’t it be about whether spaceships would destroy our atmosphere? I mean, what would you rather talk about at a party?

[On a side note, there is nothing better than when the actor within the fandom fully participates in and enjoys it. If I didn’t love Nathan Fillion before (and trust me, I truly did), I loved him even more when he wore his Captain Mal costume on Castle. And today, Mark Salling posted an adorable little ditty on YouTube about his time on Glee that truly captures the love of the show, even from within. Shiny.]

No comments:

Post a Comment